AMA 2020 Vote
October 30 2020
by Ange Hwang, Asian Media Access.
The United States, as the world's largest economic and military power, attracts international attention in its presidential elections every four years. As an eligible voter, please do not waste your precious vote, and please go vote on Nov. 3!!
Garden202011
by Bill Zajicek, president, Minnesota China Friendship Garden Society.
There were two large volunteer projects at the garden this summer/fall. As a result, the rock garden was completely weeded and mulched; the donor stanchion received a new coat of paint, the Hmong Heritage Wall was painted, and as a gift from the Minnesota Peony Society, nine peonies were planted: three each of herbaceous “Krinkled White,” herbaceous “America Red” and tree peonies (Fuji-Zome-Goromo, Renkaku, Tai Hai)!!!
HKU
By Elaine Dunn
The Hong Kong University (HKU) appointed two mainland Chinese scholars to its governing council, one of whom is alleged to have direct ties to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
Book Review 202011
You may notice the more-than-usual number of books included this issue. With Christmas giving around the corner and the snowy winter approaching, China Insight thought these titles may provide gift ideas or just material for a “good read” in front of the fireplace.
Enjoy!
GoodJob_Deed
[ST. PAUL] – Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) Commissioner Steve Grove announced the #GoodJobsNow campaign with Rick Trontvet from Marvin Windows in Warroad and Traci Tapani from Wyoming Machine in Stacy.
Covid
October 2020
Like other com- munities, our Chinese American commu- nity has been hit hard physically, mentally and economically.
Fall Colors
October 2020
In this year of coronavirus, we can find joy in the beauty of nature and celebrate festival traditions with tastes of mooncake on the trail.
Publisher Pronouncement
October 2020
With the 2020 U.S national election approximately a month away, will Asian American voters make a difference in the U.S. political fabric?
Republicans
October 2020
The resolution “calls on all public of- ficials to condemn and denounce anti-Asian sentiment, racism, discrimination, and re- ligious intolerance related to COVID-19”
Canton Fair
October 2020
The 10-day virtual 128th session will go online from Oct. 15-24.
HK Press
September 2020
On June 30, 2020, the Beijing government stepped in on Hong Kong’s governance and enacted the Hong Kong National Security Law
Lauren Food Blog
September 2020
March 16, 2020, a Monday, is a day I will never forget; it’s the day all my jobs essentially vanished. At the time, I was living in New York City, auditioning and performing.
Chang Wang - CAAPM
September 2020
Chang Wang, a regular China Insight contributor, to the Board of Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans (CAPM) to represent the Chinese Minnesotans at the Council and the State government.
China Garden
Septemebr 2020
These gardens are all more expensive than anticipated.
Confucianism
August 2020
Studying and understanding how ancient China viewed consumerism and the pursuit of wealth through the lens of Confucian thought and traditions, and how they impacted modern Chinese society will help us develop a deeper understanding of modern China.
Green Restrictions
August 2020
The idea of "green restrictions" on property rights is reflected in the property rights section, which makes it possible for coordination of property utilization activities and environmental protection goals.
Hong Kong
August 2020
Hong Kong’s pro-Beijing government said the new National Security Law will only target “an extremely small minority.” As with most things Beijing directed, that may be a borderline lie.
Unsung Heroes
August 2020
The story of Chinese American veterans and their contributions in World War II and the path toward recognition as told by the sons/daughters/grandchildren of these veterans.
Ming Bday
August 2020
Not even a pandemic can keep down the celebration for this spirited nonagenarian.
Post Covid Wuhan
August 2020
“Long Time No See, Wuhan” is a documentary that tells the stories of 10 families in the Chinese city hit hardest by the COVID-19 pandemic,. It was viewed more than 25 million times during its first 24 hours online in late June. The film was directed by Takeuchi Ryo, a Japanese who has lived in Nan- jing, Jiangsu province, for seven years.

By Chang Wang, contributor

ChangWang CAPM r72In May 2020, Governor Tim Walz appointed Chang Wang, a regular China Insight contributor, to the Board of Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans (CAPM) to represent the Chinese Minnesotans at the Council and the State government.  China Insight caught up with Wang for him to share his background and reasons for serving on the Board and the Chinese Minnesotan communities. 

China Insight: Where are you from?  How long have you lived in Minnesota? 

Wang: I was born in Beijing, China.  I have been living in Minnesota since 2003.

CI: What academic and/or professional steps brought you to where you are today? 

Wang: Before coming to the U.S., I received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in filmmaking from Beijing Film Academy and a Master of Arts. in comparative literature and cultural studies from Peking University in China.  In 2000, I enrolled in the contemporary art history program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  In 2003, I received a Master of Arts in art history and, at the same time, was admitted into the University of Minnesota Law School. 

After receiving a Juris Doctor (J.D.) from the U of M Law School and passing the Minnesota Bar Exam in 2006, I began to work for Thomson Legal & Regulatory (commonly referred by Minnesotans as "West Publishing"), first as Global Strategist and Legal Consultant, then as Chief Research and Academic Officer. 

From 2009, I began teaching American law and comparative law courses in law schools in the U.S., China, Korea, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Australia, and Brazil.  In 2018, I joined Kingsfield Law Office, which consists of a group of senior law professors who specialize in international law litigation and immigration law petition. 

I have published six books on comparative law, in English and in Chinese. 

CI: What is your current role in your profession and/or the community? 

Wang:  I am practicing law as a partner of Kingsfield Law Office. 

I also hold associate and adjunct professorships at several law schools, teaching law regularly.  

In 2016, I joined Governor Mark Dayton's Diversity and Inclusion Council's Civic Engagement Committee, participating in drafting the Civic Engagement Plan in Minnesota. 

In 2017, Governor Dayton appointed me as a trustee of the Minnesota Zoological Board. 

In 2018, Chief Justice Lorie Gildea of the Minnesota Supreme Court appointed me as a member of the Minnesota State Board of Continuing Legal Education. 

I am also an Advisory Board member of the University of Minnesota China Center, which engages me in various community education programs. 

In 2014, I published the first Chinese language book about Minnesota – "New Tales of the Twin Cities: The History, Law, and Culture of Minnesota." Chinese Minnesotans and Chinese students have well received the book. 

Also, I frequently analyze and comment on U.S.-China relations, Asian and Chinese American culture, and current affairs.  In addition to China Insight, I also regularly contribute to:

BBC Chinese (HK-based Chinese language news service); 

Caijing (leading Chinese language magazine with world distribution); 

Minnesota Times (local Chinese language newspaper for Chinese Minnesotans);

Chinese Minnesotans (Chinese language online platform).

CI: What do you believe you bring to the Board and the communities the Council serves? 

Wang: Serving on the Council allows me to:

Contribute to the larger Asian-Pacific communities; 

Build bridges among the Chinese Minnesotan community and other communities; 

Educate and distribute authoritative and authentic information from the State and the Council to the Chinese community; 

Utilize my knowledge and expertise in law and cultural studies to assist the governor and legislators in making informed decisions. 

CI: What is your impression of CAPM's role within Minnesota? 

Wang: I am impressed by the Council's work.  The Council is charged with advocating on behalf of Minnesota's Asian/Pacific Islander (API) communities.  I see the Council is actively building trust between the state government and Minnesota's API communities by advocating for the needs of API communities; engaging with diverse API communities, from newly arrived to long-established, to understand their evolving needs; and building and maintaining strong and diverse partnerships.

CI: What are its current focuses, esp. in reference to the Chinese Minnesotan community? 

Wang: There is no single "Chinese Minnesotan community."  The approximate 35,000 Minnesotans of Chinese heritage come from very diverse cultural, linguistic, educational and religious backgrounds.  The Council is responsible for representing all Chinese in Minnesota and advocating for all API.  The Council is always reaching out to and hearing from different groups about different viewpoints and various concerns.  We are in the throes of a pandemic; as such, the Council has been actively supporting state government to ensure that it addresses a number of key issues, including a strong focus on the increased anti-Chinese/Asian sentiment, translated materials, and challenges faced by Chinese Minnesotans. 

CI: What are some of your hobbies or interests?

Wang: As a Buddhist, I love all sentient beings.  We have three "immigrant" dogs: Bill Sr.(father), Bill Jr. (elder son), and Bill the Regular (younger son), all related.  They were born in Beijing but later came to the U.S. with us, for a better life and colder weather.

Left to right: Bill Sr., Bill Jr., Bill the Regular in Minnesota snow

Buddhists believe in reincarnation, and I am positive that I already had a connection with Minnesota in one of my past lives.

As an avid book lover, I have a collection of more than 10,000 books in my library.  I spend a few hours per day reading history, biography, and literature.  Some of my favorite authors are Asian-Pacific writers: Lin Yutang (Chinese), Viet Thanh Nguyen (Vietnamese American), Chang-Rae Lee (Korean American), Yi Chong-jun (Korean) and Yasunari Kawabata (Japanese), to name a few.

CI: What, if anything else, would you like members of state government and the Council's community across Minnesota to know about you? 

Wang: In 2016, in a legal thriller movie, I played a leading role as a Chinese diplomat working in the U.S., I believe my unmistakable Chinese accent got me that role.  (See photo on p. 1.)

Wang once served as the interpreter for President Jimmy Carter, who is Wang's role model for public service and integrity.  

CI: How can the community reach you?

Wang: Feel free to reach me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you have any questions or concerns related to the Chinese Minnesotan communities.  I also encourage you to visit the Council's website at https://mn.gov/capm/ and follow the Council's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CAPMnews/ and on Twitter: @CAPMnews. 

Terms Of Use

Terms of Use All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without prior written permission of the publisher. For permission requests, contact the publisher, Terms of Use All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without prior written permission of the publisher. For permission requests, contact [email protected] with subject line “Permission request.”

About

CHINAINSIGHT (CI) is published monthly ((except July/August and November/December are combined) by China Insight, Inc., an independent, privately owned company started in 2001 and headquartered in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota.

CHINAINSIGHT is the only English-language American newspaper to focus exclusively on connections between the United States and the People’s Republic of China (PRC).

Our goal is to develop a mutual understanding of each other’s cultures and business environments and to foster U.S.-China cultural and business harmony.